Besides, until I sit down and help the dudes compose their
He's the hardest to shop for anyway and I always wind up running around like a crazy person trying to find "the gift" for him at the last minute.
I think I've proven that I'm a slow learner, and this is no exception.
It's pretty much the exact same story year after year.
I am intimidated by the fact that he never wants anything that I can afford (and by I, I mean he, because I totally just use the credit card he pays the bill on anyway, and then I feel bad when the gift is so-so because I coulda just let him pick his own gift since technically it's his money anyway!).
But, instead of starting early and doing research, I actually wait until the last minute, avoiding the task like the plague. Then, I wind up crying on Christmas Day when I hand him his crappy old dress shirt and gift card to Barnes and Noble.
The hardest part is that he's always all nice about it. He tells me to relax because he really does like books and he really does need dress shirts. And, he tells me that he is just happy I thought to get him anything.
And then? Then I feel even worse because I know that I didn't really think of it. I avoided think of it and that's why he's sitting on the couch with a tear stained, reused gift bag on his lap instead of something he really wanted like, um, er, something else.
So, this year is gonna be different.
I've actually put some thought into what I'm gonna get him (with his money) and hopefully all of my hard work will help you too!
Appreciate this people. You know I HATE doing research!
PBD's Ultimate Bomb Diggity Gift Giving Guide for 2009, Dad Edition
1. A new ipod. The old one is busted. He LOVES music. No brainer. I considered getting him an iphone just for the sake of convenience, but he loves his Blackberry (and we have the little issue of the contract *insert ominous sounding, your life is doomed music*).
2. Play by Givenchy with Justin Timberlake. Admittedly, this one is not entirely for him. I mean, I don't see anything wrong with buying something we can enjoy together. I just figure if he can't look (or dance, or sing, or act) like Justin, he could at least smell like Justin. Because you know what? Justin smells good! Amazingly good! And now Hubby will too.
3. A GPS. Let me just be honest. This one is not entirely for him either. This one is partly for our marriage because I swear if he calls me from Philadelphia again when he was just supposed to be going to the mall I swear, it's over. He was essentially born without a sense of direction at all. He gets lost going to the bathroom at night! And ask for directions? No effing way! He's a classic dude in that regard and it drives me batty! So, GPS here he comes!
4. The Holy-Crap-Are-You-Kidding-Me-I'm-LMAO-Looking-At-You-In-Those-Stupid-A$$-Night-Vision-Goggles. He's still a little depressed that, after waiting in line with the geekier than the geek squad crew for over an hour, I wasn't able to procure the coveted treasure. I'm sure I'll have to sale my soul to the Devil (aka Sony) to get him a pair, but I'm hoping to work out a less eternal deal. We'll see!
5. Some Bar Gear. For some reason, Hubby thinks he's the next Brian Flanagan.
Sorry, Honey, but no matter how many of these little shaking dohickeys I getcha, you are never gonna be able to work a bottle (or your hips) like Tom Cruise. Not gonna happen!
6. New jeans. Think he's been wearing his current pairs since college, or shortly there after. It's time to upgrade a bit because Old Navy Loose Fit Painters just ain't doin' it for me anymore. I wish he'd consider these William Rast ones (can't look like him, but can dress like him, right?!), but he won't. Just on principle. I might be able to get him into these, though.
I think this is it for now...
Still kicking around a few ideas.
He's not gonna get all of this stuff anyway, maybe one or two things, but at least I've put some thought into it. At least I have a starting point and I can go from there.
It's the least I can do to keep from presenting him with another work related clothing item or a yep-this-is-all-I-got-because-I-don't-have-a-creative-bone-in-my-body gift card.
He always gets me amazing gifts (my DSLR camera, my ipod, my laptop for crying out loud!).
The least I could do is try.
And, I am open for suggestions, so if you have any do me a favor and leave them in the comments section, I'm dying over here!
*Obviously Hubby doesn't read this crap, otherwise Christmas would be so ruined (if you are reading today, Hubby, please note that I, from time to time, like to turn my blog into a work of fiction. This is perhaps, one of those times.)