1 day ago
Friday, May 8, 2009
Here is something I bet you guys didn't know about me: I love to cook!
Well, to be more accurate, I love to bake.
Cooking is fun, but baking is where it's at.
You always end up with some delectable sweetness when you bake. Something warm, and sweet, and sugary, and yummy. Something that makes you gain 15lbs just by thinking about it; never mind eating it.
So, I'm gonna share some of my goodies (not that kind silly, clean up your mind) with you and I'm gonna start with something I like to call Baked Peanut Butter and Jelly with a Strawberry on Top (got the recipe originally from BHG, my fave magazine, just tweaked it a little for our liking. Can't recall what their name for it was).
So freakin' good.
You will want to avoid making it if you (like me, actually) are trying to lose weight (don't think the fact that I used egg whites will offset the sugar and butter I used).
Also, obviously not for people who are allergic to peanuts, because (in case you can't tell by the name) it has PEANUT BUTTER in it:)
Baked Peanut Butter and Jelly with a Strawberry on Top
* 3/4 cup butter (or stick margarine, not as yummy but not as fat), softened
* 3/4 cup peanut butter
* 1 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 cup granulated sugar
* 2 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 2/3 cup egg whites (I use Egg Beaters from carton so easy to measure)
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup strawberry jam
* 4 cups small whole strawberries, halved or quartered
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil beyond the edges. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat butter and peanut butter on medium to high for 30 seconds. Beat in sugars, baking powder, and salt until combined. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in as much flour as you can with mixer. Stir in remaining flour.
3. Spread dough in prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until top is lightly browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
4. Cool completely on rack. Remove from pan by lifting foil. Spread jam and top with berries. Cut into bars. Serve at once or refrigerate up to 6 hours.
And, here are a few tips.
1. It tastes just as yummy if you leave the jam off and just put the strawberries on top.
2. It also doesn't last very long. This is one of those good for a day type things.
3. Even more delectable with whip cream on top. We like to use fat free cool whip or the lite stuff that you spray from the can.
4. This is a good ooption of you have to take something to a party. It's super simple to make, serves like 24 people, and looks pretty. Plus it gives that wow-she-baked-that-she's-amazing-vibe that we all want when we have to bring something to the super mom friend's playgroup potluck.
Giving away two copies of the movie Extract starring Jason Bateman and Ben Affleck. Contest ends 4/2/10.