parenting BY dummies has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://parentingbydummies.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Come on, Jess


Do you really think that Deceptively Delicious business really works?

I'm not convinced.

I've recently had numerous experiences in which #1 has thrown up a little in his mouth.

Each of these experiences was preceded by the tasting of a healthy "treat", touted for its innocuous taste and hidden healthfulness.

I'd heard about Mrs. Seinfeld's attempt to share recipes designed to bamboozle unsuspecting little people into happily eating veggies, fruits, legumes, and tofu.

I'd caught wind of a delicious chocolate cake stuffed with beets.

I was appalled, astounded, and dumbstruck. Why would you want to screw up chocolate by adding beets to it? Sacrilege. That's what I call it. Sacrilege.

But anything in the name of health, right?

So I mentioned to BFF that I might like to try this evil little secret on my dudes, and when she spied the book on sale at Marshall's (love that place), she picked it up for me.

Hooray, BFF!

You kids are in for it now.

You are gonna be oozing beta keratin and antioxidants from your perfectly sized pores.

So I tried it.

Not the chocolate cake, but some dinner item packed with chickpeas.

And guess what happened...

#1 threw up a little in his mouth.

Go figure.

And, #3 ate his own as well as part of #1's and all of #2's who categorically refuses to try anything that #1 pukes over (smart dude, huh?).

But, in all fairness, #1 has quite the sensitive palate and I am not giving up hope.

While I am not prepared to spend all day slaving over a beet filled chocolate cake that I may or may not be able to stomach (I don't play around with chocolate), I am interested in trying the cauliflower laced banana bread, the broccoli infused rice balls, or the carrot dipped french toast.

Hopefully, at least one of the concoctions will be palatable for #1. I'll keep you posted.

If all else fails, at least I know that #3 is gonna be as fit as a fiddle, even if he is as big as a house.

14 comments:

Alyson said...

I've heard about that book. I've thought about trying it out on my daughter...since her diet consists mainly of chicken nuggets and fruit snacks. Keep us posted...if it works, I might break down and buy it.

Anonymous said...

I've tried almost all of the recipes in her book!! It really is good...even the brownies with spinach! My kids never know...the key is with the baked goods is to let them cool for a day. Otherwise, if you know it's there, you can taste it. I'm a whiz now at adding veggies to everything...and the initial pureeing of everything is a giant PIA but after that it's just replenishing and it's not so bad. I really love the recipes and most of them are great. My kids TOTALLY know when I put squash in the mac-n-cheese though. Don't even try it! :)

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

I've heard of this book but never actually knew what it offered. The french toast actually sounds good. Let me know how it works!

The Mother said...

My kids can find a nanospeck of vegetables in spaghetti sauce.

I give up. If their hair falls out and their teeth rot, they can't come crying to me.

Anonymous said...

"...cauliflower laced banana bread, the broccoli infused rice balls, or the carrot dipped french toast."

ugh...

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth...

Unknown said...

Great book !!! Though I wish I had the time to make some of the stuff in there..

P.S. just because I'm inappropriate doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy your place..cause I do. :)

I am Harriet said...

sounds cute!
Stopping by from SITS to say hello :)

countryfriedmama said...

I'm not going to tell you that my kid loves vegetables. That would be obnoxious.

Good luck with the deception!

Anonymous said...

I don't mess around with chocolate either. Some things in life are meant to stay pure, or combine with peanut butter. How could anyone defile chocolate with beets??

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I have the book and have done a bit of veggie hiding myself. The best spot for my kids to not notice the veggies? Breads and muffins. I have been adding sweet potato puree and carrot puree for over a year now and it isn't even noticeable. In fact, the sweet potato adds even more sweetness to my already delicious breads. (straight from the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook...). But the cauliflower in the mac n cheese? I was only able to do that once before they noticed it tasted funny. And beets? EW. I wouldn't want to eat it myself, so I can't imagine giving it to my kids!

Unknown said...

My grandma used to make beet jelly. It was actually really yummy!

Kathy B! said...

I think it's just better to tell 'em straight and let em choke it down. They learn eventually...

Jenny Penny said...

I'm interested in using it on myself. Not because I don't like vegetables but because I DO like chocolate cake, et al. I'd feel much better if I could just say, "Oh, but it's fortified with beets!" Seriously, though, keep us posted. My daughter is becoming increasingly averse to veggies, and if I have to hide them to make her eat them, I will!

Annette said...

"I'd caught wind of a delicious chocolate cake stuffed with beets."

WTF? Ewwww! And yeah...why would you wanna mess up a perfectly good chocolate cake? What did the cake do to deserve that? Poor, poor cake. :(

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I <3 90210. :)

Giving away two copies of the movie Extract starring Jason Bateman and Ben Affleck. Contest ends 4/2/10.
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Show Some Love

Vote for my blog parenting BY dummies on Mom Blog Network


Vote for my blog parentingBYdummies on Mom Blog Network
My site was nominated for Best Parenting Blog!
RuffleButt Logo


HalfButtonHPM

the mom blogs